(Subject to change during the writing process)
PREFACE – What the book’s about and how to use it.
INTRODUCTION – The story of how I came to write the book and why I believe it’s important.
PART ONE: THE TITANIC
A brief summary of the historical factors that have led to the current unsustainable systems, and why we’re perpetuating them.
1. THE EVOLUTION OF CITIZEN YOU – Our role as individuals, what good citizenship and custodianship looks like, and why we’re collectively not doing it (introducing some of the disconnects we’ll cover in part 2).
2. THE TITANIC STORY - Why the Titanic went down and what we can learn from the disaster.
3. THE DISCONNECT – How and why individuals have become disconnected from the systems they operate in.
4. THE ICEBERG PRINCIPLE - Introducing Otto Scharmer's concept of systems as 'icebergs' with most of the system hidden below the waterline.
PART TWO: THE ICEBERGS
What are these icebergs and how could they sink us? We look at the different systems and disconnects that could hole the ship below the waterline.
5. ICEBERG #1 – COMMUNITY
· Community is our natural default state
· The evolution and breakup of community living
· Online vs offline communities
· The importance of contribution
· The future for community
6. ICEBERG #2 – EDUCATION
· Our education model is outdated
· Academic achievement is too narrow a focus
· The current system is doing more harm than good
· The importance of creativity
· Redefining education
7. ICEBERG #3 – CONSUMERISM
· What is consumerism?
· The drive to consume
· Quality vs quantity consumption
· Understanding provenance
· Conscious consumption
8. ICEBERG #4 – LEGAL SYSTEMS
· Types of law and their impacts (Roman vs Common)
· How the law is disempowering us
· The law creates criminals
· “What’s morality got to do with the law?”
· The disconnects between enforcement, justice and penal systems
· The link between community and justice
9. ICEBERG #5 – RELIGION
· What’s religion for? Its use and abuse through the ages
· The basis of religion
· Religion as a force for destruction
· Religion as a force for good
· Bringing religions together
10. ICEBERG #6 – BUSINESS & ECONOMICS
· The role of commerce in society
· Industrial development and its impacts
· The corporation
· Balancing corporate and societal needs
11. ICEBERG #7 – ENVIRONMENT
· Man’s relationship with nature
· The tipping point
· Why don’t we care?
· Living in harmony with the environment
12. ICEBERG #8 – GOVERNMENT & POLITICS
· The role of government
· Why government is failing
· Is democracy the best way?
· Why democracy is a sham
· Are national governments becoming powerless?
· Making government relevant
13. ICEBERG #9 – NGOs
· The rise of the third sector
· Why they shouldn’t exist
· The charity sector is a battleground
· Creating a caring future
14. ICEBERG #10 – LEADERSHIP
· Systemic failings of leadership
· Why leaders are ineffective at achieving change
· The role of followership
· The shifting locus of control
· What’s needed from the leaders of the future
o Visionary – inspire people to action
o Authentic –the myth of the invulnerable leader
PART THREE: THE BUTTERFLY'S JOURNEY
This section looks at simple ways to achieve transformative change.
15. TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR FUTURE – 7 steps to personal integration
· Take personal responsibility
· Don’t compare
· Accept and love yourself
· Be your best self – every day
· Live your life on purpose
· Decide who you want to become
· Live consciously
16. LOOKING AT THE WHOLE – Developing systems thinking
· System you
· Why bother with systems thinking
· Silo thinking
· Seeing the whole
· ‘Turning the camera back on ourselves’
· Seeing the whole iceberg
17. WHAT THE HECK IS THEORY U?
· Where did it come from?
· The butterfly’s journey
· My personal U-Change experience
· What incredible things could you do?
18. U-CHANGE - STEP #1: ENGAGE (The Caterpillar Stage)
· Why engage?
· The Zen master and the scholar
· Are you a good listener?
· Let’s look at the facts
· The power of questions
· The role of empathy
· Openness, empathy and rapport
19. U-CHANGE - STEP #2: CONNECT (The Chrysalis Stage)
· Levels of conversation
· The effects of conversations
· Conversations and team formation
· Sense making
· Sensing together
· Why connect?
20. U-CHANGE - STEP #3: TRANSFORM (The Butterfly Emerges)
· Clarity of purpose
· Crystallising Vision and intention
· An important warning
· Who do you need to become?
· Take immediate and decisive action
· Learning as you go
· Build your mastermind team
· One person at a time
21. DARK SIDE OF THE U - What happens when we don't accept the challenge
· The Titanic Factor
· The cycle of ‘absencing’
· The unlucky horseshoe
· The great leadership challenge
CONCLUSION: A RICH AND VIBRANT FUTURE